906 Technologies provides software development services to companies within a wide range of industries. Our software work extends from website design to firmware development and touches on many different languages, frameworks, and technologies that are critical for anyone seeking to work in the industry. Established in Marquette, MI in 2005 by NMU graduates, we currently employ twenty-five full-time employees.
About 906 Technologies
906 Technologies provides software development services to companies within a wide range of industries. Our software work extends from website design to firmware development, and touches on many different languages, frameworks, and technologies that are critical for anyone seeking to work in the industry. Established in Marquette, MI in 2005 by NMU graduates and currently employing 25 Full time employees.
906 Technologies is looking for a talented Software Developer to join our team. Our clients range from small up-and-coming startups to hospitals, and Government Organizations. You’ll be working alongside our developers and designers to help create custom websites and software.
Deliverables would be in the form of sub-tasks assigned by the intern’s mentor towards meeting project needs. Ideally this would take the form of completed software development tasks. All effort hours and tasks are tracked and measured with our Active Collab software, reviewed and discussed by the Operations manager.
Ideally the Intern would complete the internship with similar ability work with a client as would be expected of an entry level full time hire. This would be dictated by intern performance however.
Date & Compensation
- The goal is to hire the intern as a part-time or full-time position ASAP. We are always looking to add talent to our team and individuals who enjoy the area. A great starting point for a career locally, but the potential for a long-term career is absolute.
- $12-$14 per hour based on candidate experience, reference, and interview/communication skills.
- 30-40 hours per week
Day to Day Expectations
- Attend daily staff “stand up” meetings to discuss priorities and progress.
- Contribute to effective “stand up” meetings
- Record time and tasks in Active Collab Software utilizing a timer.
- Check and respond to emails multiple times per day.
- Be responsive and utilize Slack for continual internal communication throughout the day.
- Meet with mentor to discuss assigned tasks.
- Observe or shadow developers on a variety of tasks and client projects.
- Observe or participate in client meetings to discuss project scoping, deliverables, progress, and roadblocks.
- Attend weekly Friday Flurry team meeting to share feedback and appreciation with peers.
- Provide recap and/or check out daily with Tech lead or Operations manager.
- Use Git for software version control.
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering Technology
Experience and Qualifications
- Knowledge/experience of some programming language. The specific language is not important, however a demonstrated ability to have been able to learn a language is.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team, a great example would be some sort of group project in a class or otherwise that involved working through some sort of technical problem.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with a customer in a professional manor. This could be any sort of prior job experience that interacted with customers. Retail experience, customer service, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to learn something for a task. This could also be some sort of project in a class that required learning about something outside of the lecture to complete.
Critical Skills & Knowledge
- Must have a friendly, outgoing personality and be driven to satisfy clients
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner and listen attentively.
- Strong problem-solving ability and analytical skills
- Good attention to detail.
- Basic computer skills (use of Microsoft office, Google packages, Internet, Slack)
- Accurate typing and data entry
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, discount and percent.
Desired Skills & Knowledge
- Semantic HTML and CSS
- Familiarity with PHP
- WordPress development experience
- Familiarity with Git workflows
- Shell Scripting (e.g. Bash)
Supervision & Training
- Intern reports to the Software Division Manager but will be working with a mentor who will be interacting, communicating and encouraging status updates daily. Our team meets every morning at 9am for our standup discussion where all members update the team on priorities of their day, successes from the prior day, and roadblocks they may have.
- We provide our team a variety of on line resources (Lynda.com, Laracasts, skillshare.com, etc.) to help develop a particular skill set. We also provide the time to use these resources and encourage it with our Continued Education program.
- Time and attendance equipment and software (active collab, auto task)
- Normal office environment.
- Heavy exposure to PC and phones
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. EX: computer printers, light traffic.
How to Apply
Respond to this internship position by sending the following to Khayes@906technologies.com
- Cover Letter
- Up to date resume
- Github/Stack Overflow link if you have it
- Technical Achievements (e.g. Hackathons)